Career Opportunity – Executive Director
The Lee County Homeless Coalition seeks qualified applicants to serve as executive director. Qualified applicants should submit their resume with relevant education and work experience to [email protected] The job description is included here.
Lee County Homeless Coalition Job Description
Position: Executive Director
Location: Lee County Homeless Coalition Office, 1500 Colonial Boulevard, Fort Myers, FL 33907
Salary: Competitive, based on experience
Hours of Employment: 8:30 AM until 4:30 PM M-F
Annual Leave: Hours per year- determined by contract
Sick Leave: Hours per year- determined by contract
Immediate Supervisor: Homeless Coalition Board
Purpose: Responsible for serving the Lee County Homeless Coalition in furthering its mission “to advocate, educate, and promote awareness of issues and obstacles facing homeless individuals in Lee County through community collaboration, planning, and implementing solutions.”
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the overall administration, revenue generation, program operation
- Work directly with the Board of Directors in setting policies and creating programs consistent with the mission of the agency
- Maintain all records and documentation of the Coalition
- Development of and staffing of the Agency Board of Directors
- Provide information and justifications for the Board in its budgetary review and approval process
- Ensure proper fiscal accounting and controls following the guidelines of funding sources and with sound accounting practices
- Actively seek new revenue sources, governmental and private, to meet all program goals
- Oversee the development and implementation of program marketing and annual fundraising plans, including grant writing, events, private donations, golf tournament, etc.
- Monitor all grants, contracts, and sub-contracts, assuring that all service agreements are properly fulfilled and report same to the Board
- Promote program visibility and welfare through participation and membership in local community forums and civic organizations and activities
- Increase Coalition membership
- Oversee the preparation and administration of the annual budget
- Assist with assessing community needs and opportunities related to Coalition
- Develop understanding and working knowledge of the Continuum of Care process and ensure compliance
- Serve as spokesperson and leader of Continuum/Network of homeless service providers
- Assist Task Force Chair and/or Designee with meetings, membership reminders, agenda items, assignments, speakers, and other matters of business
- Become familiar with each Coalition member agency and understand their services
- Compliance monitoring for sub-recipient agency contracts
- Stimulate participation and communication among Coalition member agencies.
- Identify, review, and implement best practices and programmatic techniques that help maintain the high quality of services to meet the needs of the homeless population
- Coordinate community and media relations and be available for public speaking
- Research and develop funding opportunities through public and private resources
- Support, promote, and assist with special projects (e.g., stand down, homeless count, candlelight vigil).
- Provide oversight, monitoring, and supervision of Coalition volunteers
- Maintain compliance with all federal, state, county, and department regulations, policies, and procedures
- Work closely with the designated Lead Agency, HMIS system administrator and Continuum of Care Governing Board.
- Maintain compliance with the Department of Children and Families contract and Lee County contract
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Provide leadership that supports and manages existing programs and services
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong organizational skills
- Goal-Oriented self-started
- Proficient public speaker
- Ability to develop partnerships with service agencies to implement an effective plan of services for people who are homeless
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and achieve objectives with quantifiable outcomes
- Proficient with computer software, including word processing, spreadsheets, and database applications.
- Data analysis, report writing, and plan development experience is preferred.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, LICENSING:
This position requires any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Human Services or a related field and three years of related experience. Possession of a valid Florida Driver’s license with an acceptable driving record is required. Must have a reliable vehicle.
The position requires a leader who communicates the agency’s mission with depth, enthusiasm, and commitment. The ability to relate to and connect with a wide variety of constituents is essential. The candidate will be able to, in the most optimum and transparent way, establish strong working relationships with service providers and people with lived experience of homelessness within Lee County’s CoC. Comfort with actively cultivating relationships with legislative and administrative leadership is a must. The successful candidate will be able to articulate a compelling vision and to keep people focused during challenging times. Experience working in affordable housing or working with HUD will be extremely valuable. Similarly, specific experience in homeless services is preferred but not required. At minimum, an affinity for the creation and delivery of human services to individuals, families and children must be evident through previous experiences.
REPORTS TO: Board Chair
Qualified applicants should submit their resume with relevant education and work experience to [email protected]